(This post contains affiliate links.)
Whew, squeezing in those Seven Quick Takes before Monday!
1) All Saints Day! It’s next Tuesday, and it’s on everyone’s mind! Here is my Saint Costume Post again – all those Amazon costumes will still get there in plenty of time, at least with Prime shipping. Did you see this matchup up of Disney Princesses with Saints? Super clever!
2) My three big kids’ saint costumes are almost done, and we’ve only got one saint report to finish. (Their Catholic school has a wonderful All Saints celebration.) I’m not revealing their saints yet, but I am pretty excited that they all picked unique ones this year. We’ve got an early Christian martyr and a martyr from the Middle Ages, plus a lesser-known apparition of Mary. I can’t wait to share the pics!
3) On the audiobook front this week, we listened to most of Three Tales of My Father’s Dragon. These stories were new to me, but both my girls heard them in second grade. They are super cute and funny, perfect for younger children.
4) Last week for movie night, we watched Dolphin Tale. My sweet six-year-old heard about this movie. He loves animals, and he was so excited to watch it. At first I was prepared for something super cheesy, but the movie totally grew on me. It may not have been a classic movie, but it was very sweet. Bonus points for any of you who homeschool – one of the two kid characters is homeschooled, and she is very positively portrayed. Four stars.
5) This week we watched The Black Stallion (my pick). I don’t know how I had never seen this movie before, as the novel was one of my very favorite childhood books. And this movie is great cinema. It is directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and Mickey Rooney was nominated for an Oscar for his role. It moves slowly, and there is very limited dialogue. I admit my kids got a little ancy during this one, but it really is a beautiful movie. They definitely got caught up in it by the end. Four and half stars.
6) If you’re thinking ahead to Advent, I posted a few good deals over the weekend. This PLAYMOBIL Christmas Room Advent Calendar and this Melissa and Doug Wooden Advent Calendar are both at their lowest prices ever. And you can get the PLAYMOBIL St. Nicholas Set for just $4.97!
7) For myself (and Well Read Mom), I am reading All the Light We Cannot See. I am probably a third of the way through, and I am very into it now. I greatly look forward to the few minutes I can steal to read it!
And with that, the weekend is at an end. Hope your Monday goes smoothly!